Improved efficiencies at University of Missouri
University of Missouri (MU) Ellis Fischel Cancer Center is recognized as a leader in cancer care, with state-of-the-art facilities and technologies. MU’s multidisciplinary, highly collaborative approach ensures a personalized treatment plan for each patient. ImplementingTumor Board across four tumor boards achieved a reduction in per-case discussion costs of 40-52%.**3
**The results are specific to MU. This is not a guarantee of results.
Ten subspecialty tumor boards relied on legacy technologies and data from disparate sources, manually searched and added to PowerPoint presentations. Residents spent up to six hours a week preparing for each conference.1 MU needed an improved, electronic process to coordinate tumor board conferences and a streamlined method by which to pull and visualize data from diverse sources.
MU onboardedTumor Board for four conferences in quick succession. MU’s Cerner EHR was integrated to automate preparation and presentation.
Tumor Board streamlined processes and improved access to key patient data and assets (e.g. images), enabling participants to submit patient cases weeks in advance of tumor board meetings.
- Time savings in tumor board preparation and discussion time across user groups in multiple tumor boards2-3
- Efficiency gains translated to cost savings in multiple tumor board specialties4
- Standardized care coordination through significant variance reduction in case preparation and case discussion time2-3
To make the best treatment decision, we have to apply the latest medical knowledge to a patient’s medical history, personal preferences and circumstances, test results, images, reports, and other information.[Decision Support portfolio] elevates our efficiency and confidence by aggregating these resources.
Richard Hammer, MD
Vice-Chair of Pathology, University of Missouri
References & notes
- Albert, C. (2019) ‘Virtual tumor board platforms: a game changer for cancer case review’, Cap Today, January.
- Hammer RD, Fowler D, Sheets L, Siadimas A, Guo C, Prime, MS. Prime MA Digital Tumor Boards have a Significant Impact on Case Preparation Time JCO Clinical Cancer Informatics 2020 :4, 757-768.
- Hammer, RD, Fowler D, Sheets L, Siadimas A, Guo C, Prime M. A digital tumor board solution impacts case discussion time and postponement of cases in tumor boards. Health and Technology 2021-02-27 DOI 10.1007/s12553-021-00533-x.
- Cost effectiveness of a Digital tumor board software in an academic institution. Manuscript in preparation.